Tuesday, May 27, 2008

FREE Rooster



Yep, you read that right. We are giving away a rooster. What's that you say...you didn't even know we had acquired chickens? We didn't. They acquired us. About a month ago, two roosters started hanging around our place. (We figured they were from a small farm a few roads over where there are so many chickens they hang out in the road.) Tweedle-dee and Tweedle-Dum made a fine pair, until Tweedle-Dum disappeared. (Coyote snack, we assumed). That left us with with Tweedle-Dee, who seemed to be a rather appropriate addition to our old farmhouse.

So Tweedle-Dee lived a happy life as the free-roaming, cat-food-eating rooster...that is until I started working in my flower beds. I just finished weeding and top-dressing all of my flower beds, only to have that rascally rooster scritch-scratch them to pieces! After two weeks of watching him ruin all my hard work, I had it! I made a half-hearted effort to kill him by hurling a hand trowel his way. I was glad I missed, but my frustration by this point had reached maximum capacity. Shane meanwhile, was getting all sorts of laughs over my hatred of the rooster. (In fact, one night, as we sat eating dinner, I jumped up, ran out, and tried to chase the rooster out of my flowers. All I ended up doing was chasing him around and around a tree and giving Shane a side ache from laughing so hard). But come Saturday morning when Tweedle-Dee started crowing at 4:00am and continued every 30 seconds, Shane joined the "Kill The Rooster" bandwagon. Eventually, he too, attempted chicken murder. (This time it was a flying hammer).

So, here we sit with our flower-bed-digging, Saturday-morning-ruining rooster. Neither of us have the heart to do him in and we don't have the time to build a chicken coop. Do you know anyone who wants a rooster? As you can see, he's beautiful. He's also friendly. And as far as chickens go, he must be fairly smart to have made it this long.

Free to a good home................or anyone that will take him.

3 comments:

Shaun and Emily said...

wow, between roosters and hound dogs you guys are a regular old macdonald on the farm! hope all is well...

Mandy Renee said...

You didn't really present the best case for someone to want that thing. Our girls are up before 7 but that's cake compared to a 4 am rooster. Time to call KFC?

Jason, Sarah, Tristan, Wade, and Owen said...

heehee!!! Great post! I'm got two "roosters" of my own, thanks anyway!