Friday, October 3, 2008

Eli-12 Months

(Just had to borrow this letter writing idea from another blog...)

Dear Eli,
As I write this letter you are upstairs, fast asleep in your crib. You have your knees tucked in, your little bum sticking up, and Lambie snuggled under your arm. And here I sit, wondering how I even begin to tell you the joy that you have brought in your first year of life….
You are my little man. My little man with dashing hazel eyes, an unruly head of hair, and his Daddy’s handsome chin. When I say you are my little man, I mean it quite literally. At twenty pounds, five ounces you’re only in the 10th percentile for weight. (Luckily you’re still in the 50th percentile for height: 29 ½ inches). Although you may be small in stature, you always think big. Whether you are using Bailey as a stepping stool to climb onto the hope chest, crawling to the top of the stairs, or throwing your Lambie all the way across the kitchen, you aim high! This month you learned how to stand on your own and have even taken a few cautious steps. Soon you will be walking on your own, discovering the joys of being able to go where you want to go. As much as you’ve grown and changed, I love the way some things never change like the way you wave your hands in circles when you get excited and the way you lay your head on my shoulder when you’re tired.
You are such a content little guy, Eli. In the last month, you’ve sat happily for not one, not two, but three haircuts! Going to meeting and the grocery store are equally easy because you love seeing new faces. Yesterday when we went to the store, you kept peeking around me to smile at everyone in the aisle. However it’s nice to know that as much as you love others (especially your babysitter, Maddy), you still prefer your Mommy and Daddy. When I get home from work, you always reach your arms out for me and growl until I get my shoes off and get you in my arms. You do the exact same thing for Daddy when he comes home, too. You know exactly how to melt our hearts with your little open-mouth kisses!
You love so many things Eli! Bailey provides countless hours of entertainment as you crawl, bounce and pull on her. It looks as if you two will be the best of friends. It should come as no surprise that your first word was “dog,” though it comes out more like “doh.” You’ve also started to say “num, num” whenever you’re eating or want to eat. And eating…well, you definitely have developed your own tastes! You love fruit, meat, spaghetti, cheese and anything that’s on our plates. Avocados, bananas and green vegetables are now greeted with tight lips. And though it sometimes drives me crazy, I love watching you decide what you want!
I have treasured your every ‘first’ this first year of your life Eli and can’t wait to watch all the new things you discover and learn to do!
I love you, little man. Love, Mommy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok- now I'm sitting here sniffing with tears dripping down my cheeks... wow- the b-day looks awesome- I can see why Sara called it the wedding!=) I'm still working on my time capsule contribution- I will bring it when we come to visit! Love, Rebekah