Monday, August 18, 2008

Hunting Bats the Hard Way...by Shane

Check this out- last night I am sitting in the living room watching a mule deer hunting video, when all of the sudden I hear Deanna screaming upstairs. I put down the DVD player and holler up to her to see what is happening. Well, to our dismay, there is a bat hanging from the wall at the top of stairs, so me being the manly man (and also the great hunter) I slip into the basement and grab man's trusty hunting partner...the BROOM. With Deanna screaming and Eli crying I slip up the stairs, pause briefly to clear my thoughts and get in the zone. Now I am focused and quite deadly. Ahead of me I see a sleeping bat. To my left side is wall. To my right is another wall. Behind me my family huddles in fear, but now I know what I must do. I now stand a foot from the bat. Fear momentarily grips my throat. "This is no time to panic," I tell myself. "Your family is counting on you to be strong." It seems as though time stands still as I raise the broom and WHACK! I deliver the deafening blow. The said bat tumbles to the ground, Bailey leaps from her bed and hides behind the couch, Deanna lets out one last scream, and Eli falls back to a peaceful sleep. All is quite at the Kitchen Estate. The sun has set on another heroic day in the life of Shane Kitchen.

1 comment:

Jason, Sarah, Tristan, Wade, and Owen said...

Wow!! Not only are you a heroic father, husband, and hunter, but you are an amazing writer too!! Who would have guessed... :)