Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Business as usual?


Have you ever done something and thought,"this would be the coolest job." Well, that's what I've been thought each time I've done flowers for a friend's wedding, repurposed some junk into something cool, figured out how to divide my daisies, or generally worked on decorating, design or gardening of any kind. So this summer I started toying with the idea of having a roadside flower stand. The only problem is that it would cost a bunch to get up and running and not really make a lot of money. So, I put the idea away, only to come back to it again and again. And then it just all kind of clicked. I decided that instead of just selling flowers what I want to do is be a florist. Only having worked in a florist shop for 5 years, I know that I don't really want to be a full time florist. So how to be a "part-time" florist?? I'm going to grow and design flowers for wedding and events, holidays and do a monthly/weekly delivery program based on subscriptions. At least that's the vision right now. Since we live in Western Washington, we have oodles of options for cut flowers and greenery for a good chunk of the year, but I'll also be working with our local floral wholesaler for the times when I can't grow what I need. Because I'll do event and subscription based work, I will have the benefit of being able to tightly control my inventory. And obviously, my number one goal is being with the boys, so this allows me to work at home and be away from them as little as possible. I love teaching, but any teacher out there knows how time consuming the job really is. And I'm not saying I'm done with teaching, but I would love to give this an honest shake and see where it goes. I've been picking the brain of every small business owner I know (If I haven't got to you yet, I'd love your input!). To say that I am excited about the venture would be quite an understatement, however I'm also very nervous about actually making it fly! I have a blog set up for the business and will get a web page soon, so please, please visit it! Twig and Vine would love some followers! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Elissa & Logan said...

Wow, that would be awesome! I LOVE the name, and the tag you've already made!! I envy you and your green thumb...I can't grow a weed!
GOOD LUCK!!!

6Miles said...

Well, the Miles' are really impressed...and we wish you the Best of Luck. What a neat idea and I think it will be incredibly rewarding - so kudo's to you for taking the chance and doing something you want to. Wish we were closer but keep us posted!!!

Jason, Sarah, Tristan, Wade, and Owen said...

I am also impressed! Great idea!! So...your first job could be to make a few flower beds in my yard? :)