Monday, September 8, 2008

Lost In Translation

Last Thursday our school had it's Open House. We kindergarten teachers thought it would be a great idea to help our little charges get familiar with the school, so wrote up a list of places to find. A Scavenger Hunt, if you will. The only problem was that about 65% of our population doesn't speak English and our translator quit last spring. I thought I was as clever as could be because I found a free translation service online. Plug in the Scavenger Hunt and ta-da! it pops out in Espanol! Luckily I thought to have a teacher (who speaks Spanish) look it over before we made copies. It was supposed to read, "....we encourage you to take your child on 'Scavenger Hunt' of the school. You will find a map of the school on the back of this page." The translation? "we encourage you to eat the carrion (meat) off the bones of your child. There is a map of the school on your back." Needless to say that fun little activity went in the trash!

A couple people have asked, so just a quick update on school...the kindergartners 'first' day was today. (I've officially been working since August 25). I have 19 kids. It was a fun day, but I always forget how teaching kindergarten (at least in September) closely resembles herding cats. My team is fabulous!! They're supportive, helpful, and most importantly-funny! I've also lucked out because I get to have a wonderful instructional assistant. She's in the class the whole time the kids are there-a priviledge I've never got to enjoy as a kindergarten teacher! I'll keep you posted as the year progresses-there are sure to be lots of funny stories coming.

1 comment:

Troy, Lisa, and Braden said...

That is too funny! I translated many things myself while I was teaching (my Spanish was much better then), and saw how some other things ended up when translated. I know what you mean!